It has been nine months since I sent my son away to Jogja. I never felt that time really flies, since sending him away is such an endless second-to-second torture to me. Not even once...until yesterday, after finally!!! presenting my research results in so-called seminar hasil penelitian, I couldn't help but thinking how time has gone so fast. I also couldn't believe that I've been doing this whole master's degree for almost NINE YEARS. N.I.N.E CONSECUTIVE YEARS, well…with around 9 month-leave-of-absent due to pregnancy and child-rearing period. Gosh…that is such a lengthy time for pursuing master's degree, isn't it? Even my dad was once teasing me, "If I were you, I would have received THREE PhDs" #ROFL. He said so because he obtained his PhD after only 2.5 years. His tenacity for pursuing PhD degree was pretty awesome though, considering he was not young anymore.
---
There are many many times I'm questioning myself about whether this entire hassle is worth the "prices". Price of spending so much time in a mere master's degree, price of bothering my parents with child-rearing responsibility since I entrusting my son to them and price of missing too much precious moments with both my son and my husband (my husband is currently working in Jakarta and commuting from Tangerang Selatan to his working place, so we don't live together). Don't ask me whether I feel guilty or not with these prices at stake. I keep crying and feeling miserable every single day for all these things. But one thing that makes me stand tall is THE PROMISE I MADE TO MY PARENTS.
---
September 2, 2008, I said goodbye to them to pursue my master's degree to Taiwan. I promised them that I would be back after graduation. But then due to unexpected situation, I failed to graduate and forced to go back home. Soon after, I re-entered IPB for the same major and started over…from the very beginning. Now, here I am, trying to keep my promise to my parents and fulfill their simple wish. Is the tassel really worth the hassle? It is. Wish me luck.

No comments:
Post a Comment